Sunday, July 8, 2012

Nesting...

 Hello lovelies. I've spent the whole day partaking in what is commonly called 'nesting' (or at least it's commonly called that on the internet...I think i'd be more inclined to call it working bloody hard, painting lots of things, hammering lots of things, a pit of sawing (swiftly followed by a bit of bleeding) and a lot of lifting and arranging.)But let me tell you it, it was well worth the effort.
Me and the beardy made a promise to ourselves that we would start using the whole of the house which we are so lucky to live in (considering it's just the two of us, we have soo much space, and the best landlords in the world); and seeing as we have dear friends due to visit in August we thought the conservatory would be a good place to start. It used to be where my old workroom was but now it has been morphed into the oh so grand 'Reading Room' (which is pretty funny because it makes us sound like some super posh people who have a breakfast room, a sun house, a ball room and many other rooms...which is not the case, believe me) 
To kick start the proceedings I decided to spruce up some old shelves which were in a sorry state.
Here they are, poor old things!
We decided to paint them the same shade of teal as the walls in the 'reading room'
Then I painted a previously beige wall in the conservatory grey. Then I backed the jazzy shelves with some rather lovely paper from M.A.D.E, and then i hung my collection of jugs above the shelves.
Then I arranged by assorted crap/tat pretty china on the shelves. 
Then I felt rather smug with myself because i think it looks pretty tip top. What about you?
Then I sorted and sifted through piles and piles of our stuff and put into one big pile named 'to go to the bootfair' Then I put stacks and stacks of books onto the shelves and arranged various odds and sods in front of said books.
Then I collapsed into a pile onto the lovely leather chair you can see in the picture above, and wrote this blog post. 
What do you think?...I'm rather chuffed with it myself but then I like to wear socks with sandals or tights, so I don't really rate my judgement on 'what looks good'. 
There's a little piece of me which thinks that the fourth picture down wouldn't look out of place on design sponge...but that's a bit big headed of me I think.
Anyway...time for some tea and biscuits. 
xxx

7 comments:

  1. It does look great! Well done! We also have a lot of space for just us two and a half and have recently been discussing how to make better use of our space too. Not got beyond the discussing stage yet though, so you've beaten us there. Enjoy sitting in your swanky reading room :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely design*sponge worthy - you should send it in! i think it all looks wonderful, well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one of two wrinkles who rattle about on our own in 2 sitting rooms and 5 bedrooms, I am all for using the space we have to suit us and so applaud your new venture. Have not decided where to put our ballroom yet but watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! I love that chair! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oww Bex, all your hard work has definatly paid off, I love your reading room! And the painted shelves with the beautiful patterned paper look beautiful, your guests will be lucky indeed to sit and admire it! (i'm not taking the piss here, i mean it!) i can only dream of one day having such a lovely room like this to read in...one day :) enjoy your tea and biscuits in your lovely leather chair :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks amazing! you should be so proud of yourself - i could definitely imagine seeing something like this one the before and after bit of design sponge! you're making me pine for the day i no longer live with my parents and can buy amazing furniture to paint and revamp! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great, bright, funky and it is very personal to you!

    ReplyDelete